Obesity Health RisksPosted: Jun 14 in Obesity and your Health by Staff
Obesity can cause a wide range of health problems. If you are in Naples or Fort Myers, Florida and are considering weight loss surgery but just need that last push, read on to learn more about the ways that being obese affects your health:
- Obesity raises your risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Obesity raises your risk of gout, a painful and debilitating condition.
- People who are obese are more likely to develop blood clots. These are extremely painful and can be deadly if they migrate through the body to your lungs.
- Type-2 diabetes is a condition that is very closely associated with obesity. Luckily, studies have shown that bariatric surgery often helps those who have developed weight-related diabetes go into remission.
- Those that are obese have higher rates of cancer. Part of the problem is associated with the difficulty in diagnosis that comes with additional weight. It also seems that people who are obese are also more susceptible to cancer.
- Those that are obese experience more gall stones, kidney stones and gallbladder diseases. These are all painful, and complications can be debilitating.
- Because of the extra strain that excess weight puts on joints, people who are obese are more likely to develop arthritis. Arthritis is painful and can severely limit mobility.
- Sleep apnea is more common in people who are obese. Sleep apnea occurs when you stop breathing briefly during sleep. It can disturb your sleep patterns and can contribute to heart disease.
- Although researchers do not know why yet, it seems that those who are obese are more likely to develop Alzheimer’s disease.
- Those that are obese also are more likely to have high blood pressure. High blood pressure can contribute to other health problems, as well.
You must be logged in to post a comment.