Top 5 Exotic Fruit AlternativesPosted: Apr 19 in Post-Bariatric Diet by Staff
Having the same fruits every day can grow old. In order to keep up with your goals for healthy eating and weight loss it is important to keep your palate fresh and alert by switching up the everyday snack with brilliant flavors and textures that can only be delivered through sweet and juicy fruits. When you are concerned about weight loss, help keep your diet interesting by trying these top five exotic alternatives to the traditional apples and bananas that make up your daily snack.
- Papaya. Similar to the apple, this fruit visually resembles the pear but is packed with fiber, which aids in digestion and weight loss. Papaya is a great addition to a tasty salad, especially when paired with cucumber, lime juice and chili powder.
- Kiwi. Kiwis are a popular addition to many juices due to their sweet yet tart flavor. Many people do not realize that kiwis are in fact loaded with potassium and are among the top five most nutrient-dense fruits!
- Plantain. Visually similar to the banana, the plantain is tasty both baked and sautéed as a side dish to accompany spicy dishes.
- Guava. The guava fruit is actually similar to the watermelon and is rich in lycopene, which is a red pigment linked to a reduced risk for heart disease and cancer. Guava is tasty on its own but is also great in a smoothie.
- Star fruit. The fun appearance of the star fruit makes it a great way to get kids to eat more fruit, in addition to adults who are kids at heart. This fruit is slightly acidic but also sweet and is loaded with vitamin C which makes it a great alternative to the traditional orange slices.
You may have heard all sorts of rumors about an “apple a day,” but there is no reason to be so confined in your fruit choices! The South Florida sun provides Naples, Ft. Myers and other areas of the Gulf Coast with a huge variety of tasty fruits that other parts of the country could only dream of. Check out a local farmers market if your grocery store doesn’t have a wide selection of produce. These fun alternatives can pack a lot of flavorful variety to your daily snack!
You must be logged in to post a comment.