Healthy Eating Made Simple*
When you first embark on any new wellness program, the ins and outs of figuring out the new system can be stressful, and sometimes it can feel like sticking with the program long-term is going to be too much to handle. But the longer you stick with a wellness program, the easier it becomes to keep going. This is because so many of the healthy habits that you need to engage in as you start losing weight after bariatric surgery are not dieting techniques so much as they are healthy lifestyle changes. Adopting these healthy habits into part of your regular life can help you do more than just lose weight—they can help you transition to the type of healthy lifestyle that will help you keep the weight off for good.
Simple Strategies to Healthy Habits
One way to help yourself become more comfortable with healthy eating is to focus on the 5 P’s of eating healthily. Following these five simple steps can help you turn around poor eating habits and begin eating healthier without a lot of effort. These strategies include:
- Always plan your meals ahead of time. When you don’t have to worry about what you are going to eat next, you are likely to stick with your meal plan. Planning meals on the go when you are hungry never works out best for your health.
- Always think about your portion sizes. Making healthy food substitutions is a great place to start, but make sure that you are taking into consideration how much food you are eating at any given time.
- Separate eating from the chaos of your life by secluding yourself into a peaceful environment when you eat. This may mean going to the breakroom at work, or turning off the tv during dinner time.
- Be proportionate in what you are eating throughout the day. Find balance between the different food groups and nutrients that you need to stay healthy.
- Always eat in your proper place. When you only eat at the table, you automatically prevent yourself from eating in those situations where you are mindlessly grabbing food on the go.
When you are on the outside looking in, these healthy habits can look pretty hard to manage. Seeing someone make the choice to eat a healthy salad instead of ordering a burger, despite their fatigue or busy schedule, may seem farfetched when you are just starting out. The reality is that once you spend a bit of time focusing on improving your health, these healthy habits will start to feel like second nature.
Schedule a Consultation with Dr. Bass Today
*Weight loss surgery results vary between individuals depending on the initial weight, medical conditions and adherence to prescribed treatments. Speak to Dr. Bass about the results you can expect.