How to Trim Your WaistlinePosted: Jan 30 in Weight Loss Blog by Staff
Walking is one of the easiest ways to ease into fitness. People of any size or fitness level can use a walking program to improve their health and lose weight. Learn how to get started and get the most from your new walking routine.
Tips for Getting Started Walking to Lose Weight
- Start slow. Walk as quickly and for as long as you’re comfortable. Try walking for ten or fifteen minutes at a time. Over several weeks, you should be able to work up to 30-minute daily walks at a faster pace.
- Set realistic goals. If you can only walk for fifteen minutes at a time, set a short-term goal for yourself of being able to walk for fifteen minutes every day. Setting attainable goals will help you stay motivated to keep going. As you reach your realistic goals, you can push yourself farther with new goals.
- Use proper technique. Proper technique will help you avoid injuries and give you the most benefit from your walking routine. Walk with smooth movements. As you walk, strike with your heel first and roll your foot from heel to toe. Move your shoulders naturally and freely and swing your arms in a natural motion while you walk.
- Measure the intensity of your workout. Check your heart rate during your walk either manually or with an electronic device. This will help you know if you need to push yourself a little harder or slow down.
- Track your progress. Keep a record of how far you’re walking, how long you’re walking, or how many steps you take in a day. This will help you see improvements over time and keep you motivated.
You must be logged in to post a comment.