Ways to Avoid Weight Regain During the HolidaysPosted: Oct 26 in What is Obesity by Staff
If you have only recently had weight loss surgery, the approaching holiday season may be a source of concern to you. Social activities, a preoccupation with food and drink, and all of the other indulgences of the holiday season often contribute to make this a difficult time of year for anyone struggling with making lifestyle adjustments.
A little preparation can go a long way toward easing your stress and even allow you to get the full enjoyment out of the socialization and general good will that is the essence of this time of year. Here are a few tips to maintain control during the holidays.
- Eat before you go to parties. Eating is only a small part of a party so stick to your regular diet and focus on other things
- Skip the alcohol. You don’t need the calories and it will help you stay on track with your party strategy
- Chew gum. It will keep you from mindless snacking
- If it is a dinner party, don’t be self conscious about how you chose to eat. Diabetics, vegetarians, vegans, and people with food allergies have to adapt their eating behaviors in social settings. It is common practice so just focus on your needs and forget what others may think.
- At the table chew slowly and socialize a lot. Remember you need at least 20 minutes for your stomach to signal it is full.
- Stand or sit as far from the food as you can. If you don’t see it, it won’t be on your mind.
- Pass on the leftovers. You have an eating plan. Stick with it.
Above all, be proud of yourself and what you are doing for your health. Don’t allow social pressure to derail you from your goals.
You must be logged in to post a comment.