What Causes Obesity?*
To state it in the simplest terms, people become obese when they consume more calories than they expend. There are, of course, a number of situations that can cause people to consume more calories than they use. Many people wind up opting for weight loss surgery because the influence of the factors that caused them to gain weight is too strong. A few common triggers for obesity are listed below:
- Poor eating habits. Diets that are full of calorie-dense high-fat or high-sugar foods can lead to obesity. Eating too many convenience foods and relying on fast food are very common culprits to weight gain. Drinking high-calorie beverages such as sugared sodas, fat and sugar-filled specialty coffees and smoothies can cause weight gain, as well.
- A sedentary lifestyle. People who do not get enough exercise have a tendency to gain weight because it is easy to consume more calories than you burn in that circumstance. Even after bariatric surgery, your doctor will prescribe regular physical activity to help you lose weight.
- Pregnancy. Women need to gain weight to sustain a healthy pregnancy. However, many women have trouble losing the weight after the baby is born, which can lead to obesity later on.
- Inadequate sleep. When people are not well-rested, they are more prone to weight gain. This is due to hormonal changes as well as higher stress levels.
- Certain medications. Some medications stimulate the appetite and can lead to weight gain. Many anti-depressants, anti-seizure medications and steroids are associated with this side effect.
- Medical problems. Arthritis and other illnesses that limit mobility can contribute to obesity. Other diseases, such as Cushing’s syndrome, Prader-Willi syndrome and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) can also contribute to obesity.
Schedule a Consultation with Dr. Bass Today
*Weight loss surgery results vary between individuals depending on the initial weight, medical conditions and adherence to prescribed treatments. Speak to Dr. Bass about the results you can expect.